Thursday, January 22, 2009

Day 55

Over the next two days, the male scrotum will begin to form. The baby's head now looks rounded and is disproportionately large, making up almost half of the baby's length. The tissue that will become the scalp has appeared as a band near the crown of the baby's head. The neck region is established.

From this week on, there will be a 40-50 percent increase in my blood volume, mainly in the liquid portion of the blood (the plasma). There will be only a slight increase in red blood cells.

Food Facts...Meat, poultry, fish, dry beans, eggs, seeds, and nuts are main sources of protein, iron, B vitamins, and zinc. One serving size equals 2-3 ounces of cooked lean meat or the equivalent. The protein equivalent of 1 ounce of lean meat is 1/2 cup of cooked dry beans, one egg, 2 tablespoons peanut butter or 1/3 cup nuts or seeds.

Childbirth in Other Cultures...In Sweden, pain medications are available to women, but the decision as to what have, if anything, is theirs. Birth is seen as the woman's accomplishment.

Today was a measurement day. My waist size is currently 26 1/4 inches while my weight is 123 pounds. Not too bad considering that I was measuring 26 inches and 119 pounds at time of conception. I still haven't been having any weird food cravings even though I have been having cravings. Tonight I plan on having soft tacos because I've been craving a little spice again. Last night and the night before I ate an entire grapefruit as dessert. I peeled it just like an orange and savored every bit of sour! Well, it's off to work for me. Have a wonderful day!

This has been another installment of "The Pregnancy Journal" by A. Christine Harris, Ph. D.

1 comments:

Pam O'Brien said...

I had a whole grapefruit last night, too! Did the same as you... peeled it and ate it in sections. Mine was followed by two pieces of chocolate. Chocolate always has to follow grapefruit! :-)

| Top ↑ |