Sunday, January 18, 2009

Day 51

The retina of the eye is now fully pigmented. The baby's arms are longer and now bend at the elbow. The fingers and thumb have lengthened, but are still short and webbed. Notches, or grooves, have formed between the toes on the foot plate. The baby's tail is still visible but stubby, and disappears by the end of this week.

I may notice my clothing becoming a bit tighter around the waist and bust line as my body changes and the baby grows. Am I showing yet? (Surprisingly, I haven't seen much change to my waistline. I have noticed a change in my bust but not enough to warrant a new bra or see a different in my shirts. That might also have to do with the fact that I'm wearing a minimum of 4 layers these days. I even still have some definition in my tummy. Not quite a ripped 6-pack anymore but still visible abdominal muscles and the remnants of my 'V'. I'm still holding my tummy tight when I stand and can feel the difference when I 'let it all hang out'. A few times I may have overeaten slightly...OK, totally...and my very full belly hung out like I was 7 months pregnant!)

Food Facts...Fruits provide carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals, and like vegetables, are important sources of vitamin A and C. One serving size equals one medium piece of fruit; 1/2 cup of berries; or 3/4 cup fruit juice.

Child Birth Then and Now...In 1652, Philip Barrough in 'The method of Physick' recommended breathing through the pain of childbirth: "And if she was unskilled of pains of travell admonish her to hold her breath strongly, and let her thrust it out to the flanks with all her might." During that time it was widely believed that birth pain could be eased if the woman would relax her pelvic region, a belief still strongly held today.

So far I haven't had too many funny cravings. The nausea of morning sickness left me weeks ago and I find myself to be tired more than anything else. I am craving water, meat and sour. I've been adding much lemon juice to my water and even indulged in a small pack of skittles when I couldn't find any sweetarts. I must say though, the other night I was craving waffles. I looked up a recipe, pulled out the waffle maker and went to town. I couldn't possibly smother it with maple syrup in good conscience so I opted for a healthy dose of peanut butter with a little bit of strawberry jelly. Yup, it's official...I'm pregnant!

This has been another installment of "The Pregnancy Journal" by A. Christine Harris, Ph. D.

0 comments:

| Top ↑ |