Monday, December 14, 2009

OOPS! I swore I wouldn't be the one...

...that had the false alarm! I figured, I know my body. I'll know what it's doing. Hmm...I guess not.

On Friday I had some signs of labor. Not contractions but 'other' signs. I'm leaving out specifics for those that get grossed out easily (Dad, Mara, other squeamish people). I really didn't think it was a big deal but liked that my body was preparing for the tough job ahead. I knew this meant that labor could start anywhere from within the following days to weeks. I really wasn't concerned.

Saturday night, I had some wicked cramping. It woke me from a sound sleep twice. The first time, the pain in my back was so severe, I could only be relieved on my hands and knees. Believe it or not, I actually fell asleep like that. I was on my knees and elbows with my forehead on my pillow and my butt in the air! Talk about funny looking! But I didn't care. I was finally comfortable and it was 4 in the morning! Nic didn't even see me like that (sleeping soundly) so what did it matter?!

Sunday morning, I was having my cup of coffee with Nic on the couch. All of a sudden, I felt...uh...wet. Pregnancy does some strange things to your body. This wasn't exactly a new symptom so I changed my undies and continued with my morning. Within about 30 minutes, it happened again. This time I started to get a little concerned that I had a slow leak. Not my bladder, my amniotic fluid. I knew that it didn't always happen in a gush like the movies because the babies head could act like a plug. I decided to lay down for a little bit and see if it happened again when I got up. Well, it did. Not much but still enough to concern me.

I should also mention that this particular Sunday was the magic Sunday. The one in which I'm officially 36 weeks. The one in which there is a point of no return. Once 36 weeks, if labor starts, my doctor wouldn't stop it! Oh crap! That's when the freak out started. I wasn't ready. I really, really, really wasn't ready. Nic did a great job of keeping me calm and was very supportive but all I kept thinking about was the things I hadn't done yet.

The nursery isn't finished (which isn't so much of a concern) but I hadn't started washing the new baby clothes because I didn't have anywhere to put them. I haven't finalized my order for the cloth diapers we'll be using, meaning we had nothing for this little guys tush. I felt like that house was a mess (really not a big concern but it became an issue when I felt unprepared). It's really not. I just have Christmas boxes around. We still haven't met with the pediatrician. There were a few things that I need to exchange that are baby related. I need the infant insert for the Ergo baby carrier. We still haven't really decided on a name. Oh, the list goes on and on. It's all a bit overwhelming when you thought you had a little longer.

Thankfully my water didn't break and I could relax. While we were at the hospital, they did a NST which is a Non Stress Test. They wanted to hear the babies heart beat, feel him move and see if I was having any contractions. Well, little man behaved wonderfully. His heart rate was averaging 130 and spiked to the 150's (which is what they wanted to see). He moved several times. Even a few that Daddy could see from across the room! I wasn't having contractions but I do have an irritable uterus. I wasn't told to be completely still, so it could be the fact that Nic was making me laugh and I was moving some. In any case, it was nothing to be alarmed about and our wonderful nurse Audra asked me to drink more fluids and rest more. I could manage that.

As we were getting ready to leave, Audra told me that the doc wanted me to call first thing in the morning to set up a time for me to go in for a wellness checkup. I told her that I had an appointment set for Tuesday but she insisted that the doc wanted to see me tomorrow (Monday) and said that she might consider waiting til the scheduled appointment but to call anyway.

I called the office first thing the next day and sure enough, she wanted to see me ASAP. It wasn't anything crazy urgent but she just wanted to chat and check me over. We did all the usual stuff. Check for proteins in the urine...none. Weigh me...only 1 pound in 2 weeks. Yippee! Measure the fundle height...36cm. Perfect Perfect. Listen to the heartbeat...always wonderful! Check for GBS (Group B Strep)...not fun. Should know by our next appointment. She told me that I was perfect and that it's always nice to have a patient so easy and healthy. She also said that she's going to yell at Dr. E for hogging the good patients! She really cracks me up. I love that I'm so comfortable with my docs. We also talked about what happened and said that it's nothing to worry about. Better to be safe than sorry. She also gave me a few tips on what to look for and when it's absolutely urgent to call. So, it's all good.

Overall, even though I feel a little silly, I'm kinda glad it happened. It's lit a fire under my tush to get some baby related things done. I know I can't do everything and I should still be resting but I need to prepare as though it can be any day. There are some things that will need to be DONE when he gets here. I also like that I was able to see the L&D section of the hospital. Of course it's a closed ward but because of the H1N1 hoopla, I couldn't take a tour and meet the staff. It was a little daunting not knowing what to expect. But, I saw it. Not all of it but enough to have a mental picture. I was also able to meet a few of the nursing staff. They were all very kind and personable. I'm glad I'm comfortable with them too. It should make the birthing experience a relaxed one. Exactly what I was hoping for.

So, it wouldn't really be a post if I didn't include some pictures. :-D This is one from a set I didn't care for. The attempt was for a Christmas card photo but Nic was being uncooperative. He laughs and says he couldn't help it. Every time he was needed to look at the camera and smile, he made this awful face because we were looking into the sun. The outtakes are pretty funny but I didn't even bother editing them! It was such a beautiful day and my results were only mediocre. Eh...we'll try again. I'm hoping with enough time to send out Christmas cards!

Here are a couple others from my 35 weeks set. (A week ago.) Nic was the photographer behind these. I think it's a neat little sequence. :-)

Have a great day!


Pam O'Brien said...

Hehe! Love the last picture... you smiling at your baby - sorta. :-) Except seeing your exposed belly with snow on the ground makes me shiver!

KristiinaSheree said...

It wasn't too bad. It was cold but only because of the wind that was ripping on top of that little hill. We didn't stay up there long. This was the same day as the other 35 week belly pictures I posted. Just a different location. ;-)

...and I was smiling at my boy! I love that little man!

| Top ↑ |